Uhlsport Hellenic Premier Division

 Saturday February 8th 

A solitary first half goal from Asa Povey separated 2nd from 4th in an entertaining game at SJP on Saturday afternoon. 

Binfield took the game to the hosts from the off applying the early pressure testing debutant Max Evans in the Saints goal early on, Saints had few real early chances of note as they attempted to push on the counter attack looking for the breakthrough, Charlie Kille coming close on the quarter hour as a long ball through saw him just fire over. The deadlock was broken on seventeen minutes, Povey capatlising n a defensive error to claim the ball and round Evans to find the net. 

The goal spurred Saints on as they got back into the game, constantly being eluded though by the final ball as they pressed the visitors hard in a game that was becoming end to end. George Ball going close on twenty-two minutes as he fired just wide from range. Saints however went into the break numerically disadvantaged as Ball found himself at the attention of the referee's attention on thirty-seven minutes and was made to take an enforced ten minute break in the 'Sin Bin'. Binfield thankfully could not capitalise on this, thankfully their best effort from Tom Melledew was blasted over the bar as the single goal lead held on. 

After half time, Saints had the added impeteus, looking much stronger as they pushed more and more for a deserved reward, this was not to say the visitors didn't have chances, a brave save from Evans denying him and Binfield as second after a great move saw him one-on-onw with the Saints stopper. Saints however just had the edge but Lady Luck was nowhere to be seen, a weaving run by Ball just saw his shot cross the face of the goal on seventy-four minutes, before resilient defending saw Binfield clear their lines five minutes later as multiple clearances kept finding the feet of Saints players who were unable to finish. Saints never gave up pushing with a last gasp chance to equalise with Kille, looking to repeat his last gasp winner against Flackwell Heath as he went up against Binfield keeper Chris Craig, the two clattering together only for the visiting keeper to scoop up the ball. 

Binfield held on to claim the three points in a good game where Saints should have got something for their efforts. 

Saints – Evans, D. Middleton, Brock, Wood (March 67), Goddard, Hartley, Gabbidon, Watts, Kille, Ball, L. Middleton (McConnell 54) 

Subs not used – Brady, Crowther 

Binfield – Craig, Gallimore, Legg, Melledew (Chamberlain 81), Gavin, Kamara, Johnson, McClurg (Veal 84), Moore, Short, Povey (Howell 69) 

Subs not used – Thomson-Wheeler, Shaw 

Referee – Dan Frizzell