Brackley Town  1-0   Southport      11 Sept 2021

Saints win again

Glenn Walker’s 20th minute goal separated the sides to leave Southport winless and Saints unbeaten with five wins from six games.

The scrambled goal came after a free-kick was not cleared leaving Walker to apply the final touch in a melee and that was the main talking point of a poor first half.  The second half was a different story altogether as both sides carved out chance after chance and both goals led a charmed life.

Danny Lewis pulled off two miraculous saves at point blank range and Saints’ goal survived a big let off in late pressure.  Walker’s last ditch defending denied Niall Watson and Lewis pulled off a double save in the 86th minute including one full in the face as the keeper kept a fourth clean-sheet of the season.

At the other end Brackley were unable to convert numerous chances to find the second goal that would have secured the points and avoided the late drama.  Cameron Mason saved well from Matt Lowe before first Lee Ndlovu and then Louis Lomas saw shots blocked on the line.  Ndlovu struck the bar after a fine mazy run by Lowe and Lowe and then Tre Mitford on his first start of the season were both foiled by Mason.  Ellis Myles and Shep Murombedzi fired in fierce efforts but to no avail as somehow the game was settled by the solitary first half goal.

“From our perspective we had some pretty decent moments but didn’t score a second goal and you come off and feel both keepers have probably been the two outstanding players on the field,” Kevin Wilkin said.  “Obviously we are pleased with the win.  Danny stood up to everything that was thrown at him today and he has played a key part in why we won the game today.”

Brackley Town:  Lewis, Myles (Cullinane-Liburd 90+4), Franklin, Murombedzi, Lomas, Dean, Lowe, Armson, Ndlovu, Mitford (Rolt 88), Walker.   Subs unused:   Prosser, Yusuf, Wise.

Southport:   Mason, Oliver, J.Doyle, Tharme, Archer, Buckley-Rickett (Woods 57), C.Doyle, Hmami (Munro 81), Vassallo, Watson (Carver 79), Bainbridge.   Subs unused:  Anson, McMillan-Nelson.

Referee:  Paul Brown       Assistants:  Harry Tarrant and Jamie Conde 

Attendance:    510

Social Media
Pin It